Monday, February 23, 2009

Creating the Unpredictable

I'm pondering the ins and outs of the creative process.
Yesterday I was at a bead show and bought some spectacular stones. One group was some turquoise points that makes a perfect collar.
I came home and although I attempted to come up with something creative, I just couldn't get the predictable idea out of my head. So I sat down and made a beautiful collar design. Stunning. But also expected.

I woke up this morning and started going thru one of my design books and saw a couple ideas using spiky stones that mixed them in with other shapes and styles. Instantly I had an idea, I'd add the points to some Kazuri (clay) beads that I have been wanting to use. So I rushed to my work table and pulled out stones. Did I make the Kazuri necklace design? Nope. Instead I started working with some other stones I purchased yesterday, irregular Aqua Terra Jasper and some turquoise rondels. Love the final design.

It funny though, sometimes I must do the first design that pops into my head...seems to release it somehow. Then I can do the more over the top, unexpected thought. But then even after that, I'll have an idea, but when I actually sit down and start working it morphs into something completely different. I had this same thing happen many years ago when I was designing clothing....I'd sit down to do one thing, and what actually came to be had little or no relation to my original thought.

Does any one else have this experience?
Turquoise Drama - Predictable





Turquoise Drama Intense - Unpredictable
And the second, less predictable one


This is the first, predictable design.

No comments:

Post a Comment